General Statement of Job
Under occasional supervision, must be mentally and physically capable of enforcing local and state laws and county ordinances relating to public safety and welfare. Patrols assigned areas; apprehends and arrests violators. Performs a variety of public service safety and security functions. Reports to the Sergeant and/or Lieutenant – Patrol.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Responds to emergency or high-risk situations. Performs general law enforcement duties, including patrolling areas of the County, checking property for security, apprehending and arresting suspects, questioning suspects, assisting victims, processing prisoners, maintaining order public safety, etc.
- Receives and investigate citizen inquires and complaints.
- Handles preliminary investigations relating to all crimes; secures crime scenes and assists investigators.
- Provides assistance to co-workers in completing investigations and preparing for court cases. Testifies and presents evidence in court as necessary.
- Completes all required reports with accuracy; submits reports to appropriate authority.
- Remains abreast of all federal and state laws, and ordinances of Florence County.
- May assist with officer training programs.
- Works under stressful, high-risk conditions.
- Works on an on-call, twenty-four hour-a-day basis.
- Attends required periodic training sessions and seminars; participates in required physical fitness activities. Maintains required level of proficiency in the use of firearms and evasive action/driving skills.
- Receives, reviews, prepares and/or submits a variety of documents including periodic reports, traffic tickets, arrest warrants, booking reports, incident reports, and other routine reports, statements, weekly/monthly reports, evidence forms, case files, various forms, vehicle maintenance forms, correspondence, etc.
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals including the department supervisors, County administration, attorneys, co-workers, citizens, suspects, mentally ill patients, court personnel, victims, witnesses, city departments, FBI, SLED, ATF, ABC agents, medical personnel, other state and federal agencies, property/business owners, etc.
- Operates and maintains a police vehicle, copier, radio, walkie-talkie, telephone, firearms, restraining devices, tape recorder, fingerprint kit, and various other police-issue equipment. Exercises care and safety in the use of equipment and tools required to complete assigned tasks.
Additional Job Functions
- Provide public service for special events; directs traffic and pedestrians at school crossings.
- Serves official papers.
- Assists officers in other divisions with cases and assignments as needed.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Training and Experience
Requires a high school diploma, completion of required training and education at the S. C. Criminal Justice Academy and certification in basic law enforcement; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge, and experience. Must possess a valid state driver’s license and certification in first aid and CPR.
Non-Certified $32,054($14.44/hr) Certified $37,272($16.79/hr)
Applications are accepted through the Florence County Human Resources office, located at 180 N. Irby Street, Room 605, Florence,SC 29501 (843) 665-3054. Outside of Florence County please contact our office for an application.
Florence County is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/H/V.
Download and review the County’s Policy on Non-Discrimination